Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blogging Challenge Day 2: Why You Decided to Start a Blog

Welcome back to the 20 Days of WoW Blogging Challenge.  I'm your host, Jacklalane, and today we'll be talking about why I started this blog!

There are a few core reasons behind the birth of this blog.  Firstly, over the last four years of my life, I've seen a steady decline in real life friends that play Warcraft.  When I started my first hunter back in the day I rolled with my two roommates.  All along my journey through this game I've always had the most fun when I'm playing with fun, active people.  It's a fact that core friendships have always been key to bringing me back to WoW.  Watching your friends leave the game is saddening indeed and it also leaves a void behind that needs to be filled.  I've done that, to an extent, with my current guild.  The thing is, my guildies aren't really the type of player with a ton invested in this game.  By that, I mean that I really get the impression from them that when SWTOR drops, I'm going to have a significantly emptier /g chat.  One thing I'm aiming to do with this blog is to reach out to people who feel like me, or who might just enjoy a bit of personalized WoW chatter.  I don't really get that from my guild, so I guess I'm looking here (and to Twitter) for what I want from my gaming community.  Feeling like I'm a contributing part of something bigger than myself is a big part of the allure of blogging.

Another reason I'm doing this blog is to indulge myself.  Ever since I was a child, I always had an itch to write.  My preference along the way has been to critique, analyze, explain, and share.  The access to free pages like blogger made creating content like this a no-brainer.  I actually have another blog that I haven't written on in almost a year.  Not Without Heart strangely morphed into a page filled with my opinions on Apple vs Android and hacking tips for droid users.  Oddly enough, despite not seeing any new entries in so long, my other blog still gets more hits than this one.  I haven't quite figured that one out.  Either way, both of these pages exist as a creative outlet, to allow me to scratch an exceedingly persistent itch.  Aside from that, I've grown to feel that the ability to write in a fashion that people like to read is kind of a "use it or lose it" type of skill.  This Warcraft blog allows me to freely write about something I enjoy while trying to stay (or become) sharp as a wordsmith.

2 comments:

  1. I have 20,000 gold on my toons... No you can't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies and gentlemen, lets all give a warm welcome to my friend Travis who has taken it upon himself to be my token blog troll. Thanks for coming, Travis.

    ReplyDelete